Happy Birthday America!
As we celebrate 245 years of democracy, we give thanks to the independently-minded founders of our nation. They shared a radical new idea, set forth in the Declaration of Independence, that all people were created equal and endowed with inalienable rights that included life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Test your knowledge of American revolutionaries by identifying who said what.
- “We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”
- Samuel Huntington, Delegate to the Continental Congress
- Benjamin Franklin, Writer and American revolutionary
- Adam Smith, Scottish economist
- Thomas Paine, English political theorist and activist
2. “If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice, or representation.”
- Martha Washington, The first First Lady of the United States
- Judith Sargent Murray, Essayist and advocate for women’s rights
- Abigail Adams, The first Second Lady and second First Lady of the United States
- Mercy Otis Warren, American playwright and pamphleteer
3. “Educate and inform the whole mass of the people…They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.”
- Olaudah Equiano, African writer and abolitionist
- Anthony Afterwit, Opinion writer for the Pennsylvania Gazette
- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States
4. Prince Hall, Abolitionist and education rights advocate “Scandal, like other virtues, is in part its own reward, as it gives us the satisfaction of making our selves appear better than others, or others no better than ourselves.”
- John Chavis, American educator and Presbyterian minister
- Alice Addertongue, Opinion writer for the Pennsylvania Gazette
- James Otis, American lawyer and activist
- Richard Saunders, Author Poor Richard’s Almanac
Pat yourself on the back if you know which of the above were Benjamin Franklin’s pen names.
Happy Fourth of July!
- B – Benjamin Franklin1
- C – Abigail Adams2
- C – Thomas Jefferson3
- B – Alice Addertongue4
Franklin’s pen names included Richard Saunders, Anthony Afterwit, and Alice Addertongue.5
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial, Member FINRA/SIPC.
This material was prepared by Carson Coaching. Carson Coaching is not affiliated with the named broker/dealer or firm.